market-farming - Re: Blackberries

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Brian and Jacqueline Potzkai" <potzkai AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Blackberries
  • Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 11:33:39 -0700

From: mckemie AT inetport.com
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 06:27:39 -0500

You reduce your price if it is raining at the farmers market? Or you sell "rained on" berries cheaper?

--------

We drop our price if it is raining at market in order to get rid of them quick, we find they don't store for too long after being out in the open at market, and when it is raining the customers dwindle away. Also the food bank can't use them because they are only open on specific days and they will not last until they can be distributed to those in need. In the past any that was left over from market we turned into syrup, yum - I can't wait to try Del's blackberry vinegar recipe, it sounds delicious.

We have thornless berries here, the varity we have doesn't like to be handled too much so we like to pick directly into flats set-up with pint baskets, (the customers prefer them at full ripeness). We also discovered that using the green cardboard pint baskets work best. We had some plastic baskets left over and used them the first time but during transport the berries settled a fair amount and some would start to squish through the plastic baskets, we ordered in cardboard berry baskets and didn't have any problems. Jacqueline