market-farming - Re: Blackberries

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marie Kamphefner <kampy AT grm.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Blackberries
  • Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 09:26:03 -0500

Wow Joan!

Yes, my ears perked up big time! Wish I had planted them years ago! We also have a lot of wild black raspberries (they ripen before the blackberries and taste better IMHO) and blackberries. But what a miserable time picking them! Brambles twenty feet deep that snag your clothes and skin, snakes, ticks, heat, eating most of what you find. :-) And beating the poachers to them. These new blackberries I planted are thornless. I hope they taste good. Nothing better than blackberry pie or cobbler. And now, Dell's blackberry vinegar! Maybe the vinegar won't have seeds to get under the dentures.

Joan, how is your market set up as far as where you set up your booth. Are there assigned spots? I remembered what I wanted to ask you at the expo - about your booth. I never did understand how it was configured from your posts about it.

Georgie, the lamb, is down to one bottle a day and he just messes around with it, so I think I'll just go ahead and wean him. The sweet potato that has been soaking in water in a Corning Ware dish has lots of white roots, but nothing coming out of the top yet. We're about two weeks away from hatching baby geese. Finally got scion wood cut from the old seedling apple tree and put in the refrigerator.

Waiting for the fields to dry so we can plant potatoes.

Marie in Missouri