market-farming - Re: Moo Mix

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Boulder Belt Organics <goodows AT infinet.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Moo Mix
  • Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 16:47:29 -0500

Okay Alliums,

You use a soiless mix with a petroleum based wetting agent and yet you
say you are growing organic according to YOUR rules. If you want to call
yourself organic you MUST follow the regs in your state until the USDA
takes over next year. To do otherwise is to disrespect those of us who
have gone through the trouble and expense of certification. This is why
regulations are necessary

I have a feeling there are going to be a lot of people claiming to make
under 5 grand off of their organic veggies and also making up their own
organic rules claiming they are better than the bona fide regs.

This is not to say that there are not big problems with the USDA regs. I
honestly don't know if I will continue to get our farm certified after
2002 because of the USDA because of various issue I have there including
the weakening of the various 44 state and private regulations we now
have and the fact they are breaking the rules that NOFPA set in 1990.

When I cease to be certified I will come up with another term. I am
thinking of selling "geologic" produce as natural and biological have
been done to death (as has organic)

Lucy Goodman-Owsley
Boulder Belt Organics
New Paris, OH