market-farming - Re: ProMix not organic????

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Boulder Belt Organics <goodows AT infinet.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: ProMix not organic????
  • Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 16:29:32 -0500

> Hi Lucy,
>
> I have been making my own mix with one part leaf mulch, one part sandy dirt
> and one part peat moss. I put everything through a screen and it seems to
> do OK, but not great. What am I leaving out? How do you make yours?

Marie,

we use the mixes in the New Organic Grower. Germination mix is 4 parts
peat, 1 part compost and .25 parts each green sand and colloidal phosphate

For seedlings the mix is 5 parts peat 2 to 3 parts compost, one part
perlite or sand, 1/2 cup parts wood ash or lime, 1 cup base fertilizer
(which is = parts green sand, blood meal and colloidal phosphate).
Elliot puts in 1 part garden soil too but ours is way too weedy so we
leave it out). A part is a 5 gallon bucket filled 4/5 full. We haven't
added the blood meal in a couple of years with no problems probably
because we use chicken manure in our compost and thus have enough nitrogen.

I'd say you need to add green sand and colloidal phosphate (soft rock
phosphate) and some for m of N, if you don't like blood meal perhaps
alfalfa meal.

In the past week I have made thousands of 1" soil blocks and a fair
share of 2" blocks getting peppers and tomatoes planted. I start the
peppers 10 days ahead of the tomatoes as they seem to really need the
extra time.

Lucy Goodman-Owsley
Boulder Belt Organics
New Paris, OH