market-farming - Re: Moo Mix

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Alliums <garlicgrower AT snip.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Moo Mix
  • Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 07:08:33 -0500

Hi, Folks!

> Would the
>composting kill these things?

If you hot-compost, then most of the pesticides/herbicides will break down.
If you let it cold compost for a looooooooooong period of time, most of the
stuff is supposed to go down, too.

This is what drives me nuts about the whole "organic certification business"
(and it *is* a business) -- there are WAY too many folks out there
"certifying" and the rules are all over the park. I can go through
anybody's list and find stuff that is just *not* organic in my opinion (I
even have problems with Demeter's list and they are tougher than anybody!)
and other stuff that is just picky and overly "purist" to the extreme (and
mostly to "grow" an organic-only business line rather than what is actually
happening in the soil).

I've been organic all my life and the community garden has been run roughly
following the principles of the Rodale Institute with suggestions from the
BioIntensive and BioDynamic folks since its inception in 1991. I'm under
the income limit (and a non-profit organization), thus, I don't have to go
through USDA's paperwork and I won't. If folks ask what "organic" means in
my life or the community garden's, I can explain anything they could
possible want to know (and I've taught plenty of workshops on growing
organically.) I participated in formulating the current Rule, but it ain't
perfect and I'm not going to kowtow to a bunch of "Johnny Come Lately"
bureaucrats, especially whan I was taught in a region that has been
developing sustainable agriculture for *decades*.

Just my rant for the day! Your mileage, your growing area and your situation
may vary! ;-)

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of