market-farming - Moo Mix

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Kathy Somers" <SomersFarm AT kingcon.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Moo Mix
  • Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 21:29:05 -0500

Hi again,  Just a word on the moo mix mentioned in the posts today and the
organic gardening article.  I believe the Moo Mix is made here in Vermont. A
few years ago my husband and I attended a farm tour/comost seminar meeting.
The manure used for the compost made for moo mix and for other companies of
the like is from at least at that time non organic cow sources.

It has always been a puzzle to me how non organic cow manure can be used for
compost and also for spreading on organic gardens and fields.  I don't know
how the new organic standards have addressed this issue, as I have not read
them.

So,  if cows ingest herbicides etc:  in their feed, it will be in large
quantities in their manure.  We have dairy cows, and although we do not use
any chemicals on our fields or crops, most everyone else does.  Cows
especially on a corn based diet as is most always the case up here, are
going to be loaded with herbicides as well as pesticides.  Would the
composting kill these things?

Kathy in Vermont