market-farming - Re: National Organic Program "Final Rule"

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Del Williams" <delannw AT dlogue.net>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: National Organic Program "Final Rule"
  • Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2000 07:23:15 -0600

By these rules would I be prohibited from posting a sign that says, "The
vegetables and herbs from our farm are growning using organic methods. No
pesticides, herbicides or chemical fertilizers were used to grow our
produce."

For small growers I am not sure why certification was ever worth the cost.
If you're selling to other countries or to large retail outlets, OK. But
for a grower who deals directly with customers and lives geographically
close, what is the point of spending the extra money?

Del Williams
Farmer in the Del
Clifton, Illinois/USA