market-farming - edamame, beans and you take the winter off?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: artfarmers <akbjn AT hawaiian.net>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: edamame, beans and you take the winter off?
  • Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2000 23:00:33 -1000

If you haven't seen this site on edamame I thought it was good. I grow our
family
heirloom black soybean that we have been selling at edamame stage. One of
the vendors
at the markets I attend sells edamame on the stalk but the stalks I saw were
pretty
dried and yellow so I don't think they were selling very well. The reference
mentioned
that in Japan the soybeans were culled and trimmed and were bunched in
attractive
bunches. Seeing evidence of japanese packaging and presentation I wonder
what an
attractive bunch really means. There was also reference to mechanical and
manual bean
strippers.

http://stratsoy.ag.uiuc.edu/~stratsoy/misc/edamame.html

In our markets asian eggplant is a major crop and black is predominate.
There is a
substantial market for green eggplant because people say that they are non
bitter. The
black eggplant has something which my mother calls aku which is the pigment
that comes
out when you soak slices of eggplant in water. I will be growing the green
and white
eggplant and seeing if there is that aku and/or bitterness.

I grow Jade bean from Johnny's and sell it at the market picked young at
$2.00 for 10
0z. I also am trying maxibel from johnny's picked large for the same price.
I had the
price at 12 oz for $2 and raised it to 10 oz for $2 and got more customers.
Our
markets are predominately flat pole bean. Mostly U of Hawaii beans and old
kentucky
wonder prices range from $2.00 to $4.00 a lb. The U of H beans are primarily
shippers
so they are of varying hardness so compared to them the jade and maxibel are
superior.
Some of the customers even mention that the pole blue lake/kentucky blue type
picked at
maturity look old to them. They like the look of the thin bean. What is
interesting
is that I had a few bags of provider beans in the container and they went
just as well
as the thin bean. I think that it may have something to do with the lack of
swelling
of the bean.

I envy a winter off. We are just coming in to our busy season. The snow
birds will be
here and the weather is getting cool enough to grow the beans and greens and
peas
really well.

Jimmy Nishida
I think zone 11
80 to 120 inches rain

  • edamame, beans and you take the winter off?, artfarmers, 12/24/2000