market-farming - Re: National Organic Program "Final Rule"

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "William Barry" <unclebil AT bright.net>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: National Organic Program "Final Rule"
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 17:23:48 -0500

Hi all

Basically what they are saying is unless something is certified organic you
legally can not use the word.
Produce that is certified or any product in which all ingredients are
certified can be labeled "100% Organic".

Something made with 95% certified ingredients can be labeled "Organic" as
in a veggie soup where all but 5%(by weight) of the ingredients are
certified.

If your veggie soup has some certified and some conventionally grown
ingredients and the certified make up between 75% to 95% of the total
weight, the soup can be labeled "Made with Organic Ingredients."

If your soup is made of both certified and conventional ingredients and the
certified make up between 50% & 75% you may list the certified ingredients
as organic on the ingredient panel on the label.

Less than 50% and you can not use the word organic.... if any GMO
ingredients or irradiated ingredient or any sewage sludge raised ingredients
are included you can not use the word "organic" on the label..

"Organic" is designed to assure the consumer how the product was raised and
that these products met the minimum level determined by the National Organic
Standards.

Prior to passing of this Regulation, we know of one company labeling its
sewage sludge as organic. We called them on it and their comment was that
it was "natural" and therefore "organic". This should put a kink in their
armor...might even have to change the product name as "organic" is in the
product name.

Bill & Linda Barry
Barry Farm
http://www.barryfarm.com