market-farming - Re: National Organic Program "Final Rule"

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Hook Family" <guldann AT ix.netcom.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: National Organic Program "Final Rule"
  • Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2000 09:43:54 -0500

I have to say I agree with Robert. As a tiny grower dealing with only local
customers (CSA and maybe future farm stand) I don't ever see us getting USDA
certification. We started the local certification process last year (great
timing) and will continue (must do this for 3 yrs) but if our local cert.
agent gets voided I do not think we will continue to try and become USDA
cert. We will of course continue our organic (whoops probably shouldn't have
used that word) techniques. I will simply explain in what ever language we
are allowed to use, I thought there was free speech around here, that we use
xyz growing techiques. We barly break even now I see no business benefit
from a USDA label in our local market. Is there any loophole for the local
cert such as if you are only selling within a certain state you do not need
USDA you may stay locally cert.? Thanks Beth

> It is good that GMO food or food grown in sludge can not be labeled as
> organic.
>
> But, pray tell, what is the government doing in our business?
> Government regulation of this issue will increase prices of
> certification - and ultimately lead to the growth of agri-business at
> the expense of the small farmer.
>
> There is NOTHING good about the new regs. NOTHING -
>
> --
> Robert Farr
> (540) 668-7160
> Check out http://www.chileman.com
> for ALL Natural Cooking & Grilling Sauces!
>

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to market-farming as: guldann AT ix.netcom.com
leave-market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/documents/market-farming.faq