market-farming - Re: Drying Strawberries

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Drying Strawberries
  • Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 18:09:03 -0500

Liz, we've had crazy weather there this Spring (ok, we had a real Spring for the first time in the 15 years I've grown here... today was in the 60's, tomorrow w.b. in the 80's) Anyway, first CSA distrib. next week is going to be a bit slight. We grow strawberries for ourselves and not for the CSA...but. as a member suggested, if I start harvesting now and DRYING, I can give shares a cup or so of dried strawberries next...I certainly couldn't give them each a cup of fresh strawberries.

I put them in the HARVESTER washed and preened, but whole and dried them until they went FLAT. Not to tastey. I need to read the earlier responses. Thanks for your input! -Allan

Same procedure as yours. I use 2--20 tray American Harvest Gardenmaster
dehydrators. Jelly roll sheets prevent sticking 90% of the time.

Allan, do your customers want you to dry for them, or just show them how??

Liz Pike
Morningstar Gardens
Pollocksville NC
ICQ 46954468