market-farming - Re: Salad mix legislation

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Betsy <blevy AT rsocsun.tamu.edu>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Salad mix legislation
  • Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 11:22:19 -0700

> Having owned a restaurant with my husband for 20 years, I'm very well aware
> of food laws. Not selling as ready-to-eat, and informing customers of the
> need to wash all produce is enough to keep me from being sued.

An example of what I mean is the situation with unpasteurized milk.
People do sell raw
milk, but it can be illegal in their area, and they can be shut down and
penalized - not
sued by clients - but penalized by the powers-that-be for selling that
milk without
pasteurization. Even if, in fact because, they label the milk "raw."
Having owned a
restaurant, you're familiar with the idea of needing to be certified by
your health
department. If you refused to let them examine or certify your
restaurant, or they cited
you for violations and you refused to fix the "problems," they'd shut
you down.

It's not my understanding that HAACP is going to be the equivalent of
organic
certification, something people can choose to do or not do provided they
agree not to use
the certified term in sales. My impression instead is that it will be
equivalent to
hygiene laws - if they know you're out there, they're going to want to
inspect you. I
hope this isn't the case, and it may in the end only apply to people who
sell to
restaurants or through other wholesale venues, or it might apply to
people who sell
produce, period. But your example of a restaurant is very apt. You
cannot operate a
restaurant without complying with the health department, no matter what
kinds of verbal
or "implied" warnings you give your customers.

> And as
> further measure, I no longer fertilize my greens beds with manure (aged for
> any length of time) for further insurance. I've found seaweed extract and
> alfalfa meal is all they need.

Well, as my local farmer pointed out, this isn't about stopping some
practices the
government deems is unsafe - like using manure, which someone else on
this list pointed
out is done by conventional growers with less guidance than that
received by organic
growers. HAACP is about assuming that farmers are "stupid," and sending
someone to the
farm to make sure the produce is being grown in the one way someone has
decided is
hygenic. It sounds like HAACP is still in its formative stage; we can
decide to ignore
it, or decide to get involved in trying to influence how it is further
developed and
applied.