market-farming - Re: Organic Fertilizer ?s

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Peg Cook" <pegcook AT northnet.org>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Organic Fertilizer ?s
  • Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 07:14:58 -0400

Dave,
Keep in mind that the numbers that come out of the County Extension Office
are for "actual" N, P, and K. These numbers do not indicate whether to use
a "chemical" fertilizer or an "organic" fertilizer.

Ava did a great job in her posting explaining this to you. I was very
impressed that she also included SO4!!! However, these numbers do not often
tell if the soil "system" is in balance. When I do a soil test, I like to
see FIRST how balanced the soil system is. On my soil test reports I
include % Base Saturation for Ca, Mg, and K as well as % Organic Matter and
the Cation Exchange Capacity (C.E.C.). I use ALL of these factors to
determine if the soil "system" is in or out of balance! After looking at
that, then, I look to see what nutrients are deficient. Then, I can give my
Customer either an organic or chemical recommendation or both, depending on
what they ask for. Keep in mind that most land-grant colleges do not test
for % Base Saturation and C.E.C.

I base all of my soil test recommendations on "Optimizing Nutrient
Management by Balancing the Soil System." If you have a healthy soil
"system", you will have healthy crops.

Again, Ava did a very good job of explaining N, P, and K.

Hope this helps!

Peg Cook, Agronomist
Cook's Consulting
Lowville, NY