market-farming - Moving Markets

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Goodman-Owsley <goodows AT excite.com>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Moving Markets
  • Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 02:07:42 -0700 (PDT)

We have a wonderful market garden so far this year-lots of stuff growing
well. No diseases and for some reason very few pest insects-we seem to have
gotten rid of all the flea beetles in the area. The weeds are still under
control and tilling and planting is right on schedual. A big difference from
last year when by this time both my husband and I were setting up surgery
appointments and the whole year was falling apart.

The bad news is both farmer's markets we go to are/have moved. The bigger
market (which has not started) will probably be improved by the move as it
is going back to where it began 26 years ago and i have heard legendary
tales about this location. The other Market started last week amnd also was
moved back to where it started 4 years ago in front of a Wendy's. A horrible
location as most folks going into a fast food joint are not looking for
fresh organic produce.

This market has always been weak and it looks like we will be the only
produce vendors this year. We are seriously considering jumping ship in the
next week or so and instead of waiting around for 4 hours to make $15 we
will come in to this town and hit resturants-we already have one active
account in this town and sincer I have worked in most of the fine dinning
places there I know all the chefs so getting into some more kitchens should
be easy.

I feel kind of bad about leaving the market as our farm helped to start it
but I believe it is time to put it out of its misery and go on to new
things.

Last week I realized I hadn't recieved the big organic application yet this
year and contacted the certifier. She sent it ASAP and now I have 3 weeks to
get the thing done and copied and sent it-Woo Hoo!! This is on top of
getting ALL the tomato, pepper, basil transplants out among other things

So how are things on your farms?

Lucy Goodman-Owsley
Boulder Belt CSA
New Paris, OH