market-farming - Re: mystery summer squash

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Grow19 AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: mystery summer squash
  • Date: Sun, 7 May 2000 19:09:11 EDT

Dear Farmer Friends,

I'm hoping someone can help me identify a mystery summer squash.

I work with community gardens in Washington DC and last year I received some
donated, unmarked sqush seedlings. The squashes were delicious, among the
best I've ever tasted. Did I save any seeds? No! Oops. Now I am hoping
someone can tell me what it might have been.

It was a crookneck shape summer squash, light green with lighter green
stripes, very very prolific. It easily grew to 18 inches long and even at
that length was very tasty, more smooth than most yellow crookneck or zukes.

That's probably not a great description. People i have asked so far have
said, oh yeah and its a winter squash, right? NO. Summer squash.

Thanks for any help you can offer. I would love to grow it again.

Judy Tiger
GROW