market-farming - Re: Moving Markets

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "delannw" <delannw AT dlogue.net>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Moving Markets
  • Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 06:45:59 -0500

I am looking forward to the season opening. Our market opens June 17. We
are opening a month earlier than last year but, unfortunately, I am planting
10 days later than last year. There's so much to do.

The bean beetles are already up and running. I can't believe it.

Our market is going into it's second year with the same great downtown
location for the Saturday market. We can't seem to find a location for a
weekday market and there is no commitment from most vendors or the market
manager for a weekday. This is very disappointing to me. I often made more
$ on weekdays than on Saturdays. The weekday shoppers came to buy. So, I
think I'll have to go it alone on weekdays and find another market or
another location. Maybe I'll just set up a stand in front of the farm.

We did decide to try to enhance the atmosphere of the Saturday market by
planning some events.
There will be an Artist Fair on the last Saturday of each month to run
alongside the farmers' market.
They will have a separate manager and will be focussed on original art (no
crafters).
We're going to start an annual corn festival (end of July).
Local church and school choirs are going to perform at 10:30am on most
Saturdays. We are thinking that this might be a good way to get families to
come to the market.
On opening day we are giving out 250 canvas shopping bags with the names of
local sponsors and our market logo on the bag. Of course, we are hoping
people will use their market bags during the rest of the season.

At our final pre-market meeting tomorrow, the Illinois Department of Revenue
is going to do a presentation so we all know about the sales tax rules in
our location. We are also going to decide whether to allow a bread vendor
to sell dried herbs that she will repackage. I really question this. These
herbs are not locally grown. Has that situation every come up in your
location and how was it solved? Didn't someone else have this issue come up
recently?

Del Williams
Farmer in the Del
Clifton, IL