market-farming - Re: succession crop planning

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Dave Bennett <dbennett AT micoks.net>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: succession crop planning
  • Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 08:05:06 -0500

Dee Casey/John Chmelik wrote:

> I have a question about planning succession crops so I have a continual
> harvest from May 27 through September 30.
>
> How do other people plan succession crops?
>
> Thanks, Dee Casey
> Antero Organics

Dee,

My 1951 Better Homes & Gardens - Garden Book had the best information
I've seen to date on this subject. Here is a blurb from their book on
this subject, followed by a garden plan with succession planting
information. Hope this helps.

THIS INFORMATION IS BEST VIEWED WITH A FIXED LENGTH FONT.

---

The difficulties of growing succession crops in the summer heat and
drouth can be overcome with a special planting technique.

The greatest hazard that besets 2nd plantings comes from a covering of
soil that forms a crust above the seed. This crust may increase moisture
loss from the soil, or prevent the sprout from emerging. It is easily
avoided by covering the seed with a special mixture of sifted topsoil,
builder's sand, and peatmoss in equal proportions. Always use this
mixter where there is much heavy clay in the garden.

Plant the seeds 1/4" to 1/2" deeper than for normal spring planting. Let
the hose run in the trough until the soil is soaked deeply. Then sow the
seed and cover only with the special soil mixture, described above, or
with shredded peatmoss. Firm the covering over the seed to insure close
contact.

The other major hazard for second plantings- heat -is overcome by
watering and by shading. After you have firmed the soil covering the
seed, soak the covering and shade it with a light mulch of dry lawn
cuttings.

To insure further that the soil is kept at the temperature for
germination (40 - 60 degrees for all plants which require early-spring
first plantings), it is good practice to prop up wood planks along the
row, or use strawberry baskets or newspaper tents over individual
plants, until the row is well filled with strong seedlings. This will
cut down on the number of hours of sunlight on the row and aid in
cooling the soil.

Sprinkle as required until the sprouts appear, and then continue with
frequent waterings until the plants have become well established.

(From 1951 Better Homes and Gardens Garden Book)

---
This garden layout will provide enough vegetables, producing average
yields, to supply the summer and fall needs of a family of four and
leave an adequate amount for canning, too.

Spacing Chart

|-------- 24' ---------|
Row
---- 1 ------------------------ ---

3'rows 2 ------------------------ |

---- 3 ------------------------ |

2'rows 4 ------------------------ |

| 5 ------------------------ |

---- 6 ------------------------ |
| 7 ------------------------ |
| 8 ------------------------ |
| 9 ------------------------ |
| 10 ------------------------ |
| 11 ------------------------ |
| 12 ------------------------ |
| 13 ------------------------ |
1-1/2' 14 ------------------------ |
rows 15 ------------------------ 50'
| 16 ------------------------ |
| 17 ------------------------ |
| 18 ------------------------ |
| 19 ------------------------ |
| 20 ------------------------ |
| 21 ------------------------ |
| 22 ------------------------ |
---- 23 ------------------------ |

| 24 ------------------------ |
2'rows

| 25 ------------------------ |

---- 26 ------------------------ |

3'rows 27 ------------------------ |

---- 28 ------------------------ ---

Planting Table (First sowing as soon as ground is prepared.)

Row Vegetable Days to Harvest Follow crop
harvest lasts
------ ------------ --------- -------- --------------------
6 Beets 60 days 6 weeks August 1, lettuce
2 Broccoli 70 days To frost none
7 Carrots 60 days 8 weeks none
8 Endive, curly 70 days 6 weeks August 10, beans
9 Endive, broad 90 days 6 weeks none
leaved
10 Kale 60 days To freeze none
11 Lettuce 40 days 6 weeks July 15th,
carrots
12 Onion sets 20 days 4 weeks June 10th, beans
13 Parsley 75 days To freeze none
14 Parsnips 95 days To spring none
15-16 Peas 64 days 2 weeks Row 15, July
1, endive

Row 16, July 1, onion

seed for late green onions
26 New Zealand 60 days To freeze none
spinach
3 Swiss chard 60 days To freeze none
17 Turnips 60 days 2 weeks July 1,
Chinese cabbage

*** Sow a week before frostproof date. ***
18 Bush beans 60 days To freeze August 10, beets
1 Pole Lima 80 days To frost none
beans

*** Sow or transplant when frost danger is over. ***
19 Beets 60 days 6 weeks none
20 Carrots 60 days 8 weeks none
28 Cucumbers 45 days 6 weeks Cucumbers
21 Lettuce 40 days 6 weeks August 15,
turnips
22 Onion sets 20 days 4 weeks July 10, beans
27 Italian marrow60 days To frost none

*** Begin with well started plants. ***
5 Eggplant 75 days To frost none
4 Peppers 60 days To frost none
Back Early 60 days
fence tomatoes
Back Late 90 days To frost none
fence tomatoes

*** Sow 60 days after first sowing. ***
23 Lettuce 40 days 6 weeks none
25 Carrots 60 days 8 weeks none
24 Beets 60 days 6 weeks none

--

Dave Bennett

  • succession crop planning, Dee Casey/John Chmelik, 04/09/2000
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: succession crop planning, Dave Bennett, 04/10/2000