market-farming - mulching plastic

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Nancy Haycock <nhaycock AT pratt.edu>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: mulching plastic
  • Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 10:14:37 -0400

Hi --
I bought some rolls of plastic sheeting to use on my beds primarily to
kill the rye grass I planted last fall, so to speed up my chance of
tilling earlier this spring. Also to warm up the soil which is very
wet. I bought 4 mil black plastic sheeting. Last night I checked a few
catalogues and noticed that the black plastic mulch that was being sold
in all of them was much thinner -- mostly 1 ml or 1.25.
What I am wondering and worrying about is whether there is any reason
that 4 mil would be bad for the soil? Retard the warming up process? I
thought the thicker the better since it would last longer and be less
prone to ripping in the wind.
Thanks.
Nancy Haycock