market-farming - Re: late snow and cold frames

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "five springs farm" <fsfarm AT mufn.org>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: late snow and cold frames
  • Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 05:31:09 -0400

We, too, get late snow storms (not *quite* as late as mid may, usually) and
the biggest limitation in what you mention is that germination rates are
painfully slow in the cold soil temps. Once germinated, though, a blanket of
snow will tend to protect young seedlings (of hardy plants) from damage in
cold temperatures. Suggest the cold frames and/or plastic (Ugh!) to warm the
soil before seeding out.

Jim and Jo
The Community Farm Newsletter
http://www.mufn.org/public/tcf