market-farming - Re: Pembroke and Razor Clay

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Ava Devenport" <essenheal AT iname.com>
  • To: market-farming
  • Subject: Re: Pembroke and Razor Clay
  • Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 9:54:41

I do like chickens, but my property is located at the foot of the Wet
Mountains, just south of Pueblo. I share that space with at least one bear
and her two cubs (they follow Muddy Creek), a mountain lion that everyone
in the area "tries" to keep track of, quite a few very agressive bobcats,
coyotes, owls, rattlesnakes and God knows what else.

A few years ago, we were visited briefly by 11 little goslings. They were
so cute and followed you everywhere until they started disappearing, a few
one day, then a few more, etc. I'm pretty sure "something" had them for
dinner. I tend to find at least a few pretty fresh deer carcass down near
the creek every year.

I believe I'd only be giving any poor chickens a pretty sure "death
sentence", even caged. But I hadn't considered any landscapers. I'm not
sure if there are any in my area, but I'm definitely going to check it out.
Thank You!

Blessings,
Ava