market-farming - succession crop planning

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Dee Casey/John Chmelik" <goodwind AT amigo.net>
  • To: "Marketfarm Web (E-mail)" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: succession crop planning
  • Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2000 12:11:10 -0600

Hello,

I have a question about planning succession crops so I have a continual
harvest from May 27 through September 30. I plan to plant head lettuce,
spinach, mustard greens, carrots, beets, scallions, and radishes every 2
weeks; kale and chard every month; broccoli, cabbage, and leek 1 planting in
the spring and mid-summer; and potato, onion, and corn 1 planting.

I'm wondering how to allocate my limited bed space to these succession
plantings and how to know when a portion of a bed or a full bed will be
available for seeding.

I get stuck when I try to plan to seed something every 2 weeks. Since I'm
just starting out, I don't know how long a certain crop will be harvested
before I'll want to turn it over and reseed. And I don't have the bed space
to leave beds open and waiting to be seeded in the summer. I would consider
seeding a cover crop in beds planned for mid-summer plantings of brassicas.

I've made up a timeline with beds in the first column and weeks running
across the top. So for bed #1 I'll seed lettuce in week #1 and have checks
in columns under the next 8 weeks until I harvest the lettuce in the 9th
week. That shows me that bed #1 will be free in the 10th week and I can
either seed another crop of lettuce or transplant something else from my
cold frame nursery bed.

How do other people plan succession crops?

Thanks, Dee Casey
Antero Organics

  • succession crop planning, Dee Casey/John Chmelik, 04/09/2000