market-farming - Re: Cold Frame Structures

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Goodman-Owsley <goodows AT excite.com>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Cold Frame Structures
  • Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 03:51:00 -0800 (PST)

We just finished a high tunnel for early tomatoes using 3/4" conduit and
6mil plastic (not the official uv resistant greenhouse sheathing). It is 12'
wide x 22' long x8' high. We used no couplers so the plastic is flush with
the structure. it is nailed in the ground with 24" pins that go through
holes in the footers. So far it has withstood 2 days of 25+mph winds.

Tom if you want a simple cold frame just to hold your plants consider straw
bales with conduit or even #9 gueage wire shoved into the bales to make
hoops and plastic pulled across. PVC would work but the stuff leaches and
you gotta have anchors for it.

You could also forget the hoops and just put windows on the top of the bale
structures which can be covered with old row covers when the sun is hot and
the windows are slid to an open postion. The row covers act as shade cloth
and keep moisture in. This is what we use the 2 to 3 yr old ripped up covers
for.

Lucy Goodman-Owsley
Boulder Belt CSA
New Paris, OH