market-farming - Re: Cold Frame Structures

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Windwalker" <windwalker AT computer-services.com>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Cold Frame Structures
  • Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2000 09:22:15 -0600

we just lost a 14' x 40' hoop house in 45+ mph winds yesterday. the uv
plastic covering held throughout the ordeal and, in fact, had to be hand cut
to prevent further damage to some of the salvageable conduit pieces while
the whole structure rested against the tree which stopped its travel. this
plastic was at least three years old and we could easily have gotten another
season out of it, maybe more. since we use the hoop house for seedlings we
will have to get another up right away but this time will tie the structure
to the ground better. we had 2"x2" stakes all the way around that tied it
to the ground but we've had rain and the soil was pretty loose. this time
will use post hole mix and chains to keep it in place. does anyone know of
insurance that will cover greenhouses and/or hoop houses?

p.s. we also had a tipi go down in the wind yesterday!

joan vibert
windwalker farm
ottawa, kansas