market-farming - Re: Cold Frame Structures

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Read-Massey Organic Farm <organic AT morgan.net>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Cold Frame Structures
  • Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2000 14:10:48 -0600

Windwalker wrote:

> we just lost a 14' x 40' hoop house in 45+ mph winds yesterday.... ...does
> anyone know
> of insurance that will cover greenhouses and/or hoop houses?...

> joan vibert
> windwalker farm
> ottawa, kansas

snip...
If you will leave about 2 feet of plastic on the ground on both sides and
cover it with a
good amount of soil this will hold the hoop house in place in most cases.
This is what
we do in North Central TX.
I have checked for insurance on this type of house and you can forget
checking is my
experience. Only commercial houses with standards are insurable.
Chuck Massey
Read-Massey Organic Farm
Sunset, TX