market-farming - Re: {MF} Wind on Seedlings

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Dori Green" <dorigreen00 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: {MF} Wind on Seedlings
  • Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2000 05:35:07 EST

I'm on a very windy hill so my seedlings need early exposure to wind. A small fan does the job while they're inside.

When I put them out, I erect one-foot-high burlap windbreaks on the west side of the bed (beds run north-south of course). If I run out of burlap, I've been known to use rocks to build little windbreaks and heat sinks around individual babies. My Ex used to accuse me of rearranging the furniture even in the garden. It _is_ one of the advantages of farming on hardscrabble, there's lots of building material readily available.

Dori Green
Ash Grove Community Farm

http://www.ic.org/agrove