market-farming - Help w/Soil temps and Larkspur

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rose & Fred Lieberman" <pyrite AT clarityconnect.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Help w/Soil temps and Larkspur
  • Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 07:49:11 -0800

There was a "larkspur" thread on another list. I have a question for you
all...

I've heard and read that larkspur won't germinate at soil temps above 55.

Are soil temps generally warmer than air temps? In other words, if I chose
to direct seed larkspur the 2nd week in April when air temps might just well
be 55, would the soil temps be generally higher or lower?

My thinking (here in upstate New York) is that soil is darker, it would hold
on to heat and therefore be warmer; but then I think that the soil is also
wetter at that time of year and could easily be cooler, or at least not as
warm as drier dark soil.

I need help with my thinking here, please.

Thanks,

Rose