market-farming - Re: Help w/Soil temps and Larkspur

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Michaele Blakely" <mjb AT premier1.net>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Help w/Soil temps and Larkspur
  • Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 11:08:18 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: Elizabeth Pike <pike AT always-online.com>
To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
Sent: Sunday, February 27, 2000 10:51 AM

> > > If you want to plant larkspur in the spring, put it in the fridge
> > overnight, then plant it. Should be fine.
>
> I tried this, but the seeds did not need the stratification, the
> plants did. Although-- you could experiment with germinating a flat
> then refrigerating the seedlings.
>
> Liz
>
> You will always get better flowers if you have larkspur starts go through
a cold spell. (I use to do flowers only, before I went to veggies, and
larkspur was a favorite of mine). Here in the northwest I would still
stratify my seeds, then plant in October for blooms the following May.
The best anyone can do for now, is give those seeds a cold snap, and plant,
hope they germinate in time to get some cool weather, or stratify, start in
the greenhouse, harden off and put out before it warms up too much.
You can get seeds to germinate without doing this, it's those tight blooms
you're after if you're stratifying.
Michaele
Growing Things
Carnation> ---
> You are currently subscribed to market-farming as: mjb AT premier1.net
$subst('Email.Unsub')