market-farming - Re: market scales

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marcie Rosenzweig <fullcircle AT jps.net>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: market scales
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 11:05:33 -0800

Hi all,

We use a mechanical scale and lug it for market to market, but some other
farmers actually use electronic scales in the marketplace. Our mechanical
scale passed inspection for 8 years before it died. New one cost $215.
Had to go to the "big city" to get it.

Hate to disagree with LIz, but

>You can disconnect the
>pan & chains, and hang bags of produce on the hooks to weigh.

Actually, Liz if the scale is certified by the local ag folks, they will
certify it with the pans and chains. If you remove those, you have an
inaccurate scale and could get in trouble if you sell in an area where
scales must be certified.

>Scales have their place, but if you can price your produce by the
>piece--check out is much faster & easier for yourself, helpers &
>customers.

The first two years we sold at market, we sold by the piece, bunch, etc.
We used paper french fry trays to display summer squash, beans, peas,
tomatoes, etc. Then sold them by "the basket." Customers still ask how
much per pound it was. They were simply more comfortable with units they
understood. It didn't appear price was the issue, it was comfort level.
We got a scale the next year.

Marcie A. Rosenzweig
Full Circle Organic Farm
Auburn, CA