market-farming - Re: market scales

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Alex McGregor <waldenfarm AT sprintmail.com>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: market scales
  • Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 16:12:58 -0500

Judy,

First, check with the state Dept. of Ag, Weights and Measures Division to get
information
on what's legal for trade in your state. In Tennessee scales have to have 32
increments
per pound (1/2 oz.). You're safe with electronics because they weigh to 1/100
pound. And
they have to be inspected for accuracy every year (it's free).

If you're selling from a farm stand and the scales will be stationary (you
won't be
lugging them around to markets) check with local scale companies. I bought a
used
electronic scale for $200. The benefit of these is that you can punch in a
tare weight
for containers and a price per pound for each item- makes figuring prices
easier and
faster. Customers can buy just as much as they want- no more, no less. I've
found they
like this better than buying by quantity on most things.

I bought a new hanging scale (mechanical) and it cost over $300 new. No one
stocks these
since there's no demand. I carry this to markets because it's durable. I was
told by the
salesman that the battery operated electronics weren't durable, but this was
7 or 8 years
ago.

Alex