market-farming - RE: Winter growing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <awiediger AT Hart.k12.ky.us>
  • To: 'market farming' <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Winter growing
  • Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 14:37:33 -0600

Here in Zone 6, southern Kentucky, leaf lettuce, spinach, russian kales,
mustard, mizuna, TatSoi, beets, carrots, Hakurei turnip, radishes, arugula,
endive, mesclun (basically a mix of above, baby size) do well. Romaine
lettuce not after Dec 15 - the thicker leaves tip burn in freezing and
thawing. we have rejected claytonia and minutina 'cause we can't sell them,
Chinese cabbage good until about mid-Dec, broccoli too space inefficient,
Red Bor kale not productive enough (although gorgeous!). We're sure other
things would work - these are the staple for our markets. We transplant
tomatoes the 15th of March for early sales(by Memorial Day), and we lost our
fall tomatoes to frost on the 21st of December in 1999. We use mostly Bush
Early Girl.

Alison