market-farming - RE: Winter growing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <awiediger AT Hart.k12.ky.us>
  • To: 'market farming' <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Winter growing
  • Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 10:26:35 -0600

We do not ever heat the coldframes. It would be a cost that most like could
not be recovered by the sales of the product. What we grow does just fine
without any extra heat. Yes, the lettuce and other things do freeze when
the inside temps go below 20 or so, but they thaw out and continue to grow.
We've spent 5 years determining just what will take that type of abuse and
continue to produce for us.

It's really fun! And also profitable.

Alison