market-farming - niche marketing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Sue <swtgrssfrm AT nls.net>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: niche marketing
  • Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2000 09:22:15 -0500

We have found a niche for growing fresh vegetable soybeans (edamame).
It seems there is no one else doing this and we have a demand in our
area. We grew some last year and it went so well we are tripling what
we grew. Our area organic grocer bought from us at 3.50 a lb. We were
not sure where to price it because it has not been available in this
area up until now (from us no less!) That price seemed fair to us and
they were able to move them at 6.00 lb or more on their end.
Sue Steiner
Sweetgrass Farm
Wadsworth, Oh.