market-farming - Re: Soil Blocks and Heat

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Soil Blocks and Heat
  • Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2000 10:02:45 -0400

I haven't actually done this, so beware, however, a good heat mat has a thermostatic sensor and 'power to spare.' I think if you insulate the bottom side of the heatmat, put your plywood trays on top of the mat and insert your thermocouple, you should be able to operate at the temp you want to.

I'm sure you already know this, but it will probably help to keep SaranWrap on the top of the cubes. (Once cubes dry out, it's trouble.)

-Allan
Claymont Farm CSA
OSTERSMITH AT aol.com wrote:

I am diligently following Elliot Coleman's recipe for seed starting with soil blocks. I have even made his 1/4 inch plywood 'trays' for holding the blocks. Does anyone use germination heat mats with this system? Seems to me like the wood would get in the way - but I can't imagine transfering the blocks from heat mat to wood tray.

Actually when I was using soil blocks they held together fairly well. I
don't know what Elliot Coleman's mix is but mine had a fair amount of
peat moss in it as I recall.

I would think a spatula might be helpful if the mix is kind of crumbly.

Or alternatively, have you considered using the small 1/2" or 3/4" (I
forget) size to start the seeds, then just pick that up and put it in a
regular soil block? There's a special insert to make the indentation in
the top of a regular soil block to take the smallest size after the seed
has germinated/sprouted.

--
Holly ;-D
Contrary Peasant

---
You are currently subscribed to market-farming as: igg AT igg.com