market-farming - Re: niche marketing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Sue <swtgrssfrm AT nls.net>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: niche marketing
  • Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2000 13:31:31 -0500

We sold the pods only. The pods all become ripe at once so you just cut the
plant off at
the base and make a big pile of them and get a chair and pull the pods off.
It was just a
little tricky timing the harvest because some of the pods at the lower part
of the plant
will be smaller but you harvest when 80 % of the pods are full. You want to
get them
before they turn yellow. Once they start to turn they go quickly. You also
want to pick
out the pods with only 1 bean. The pods should have at least two beans per
pod. You
usually need to give people cooking instructions to go along with them so
they know what
to do with them. Basically you just steam them in the pod for 10 minutes and
the either
strip the pod with your month and eat them straight out of the pod or shell
them like any
other bean and add to any recipe that calls for peas or beans. I especially
liked them
with new potatoes in a potato salad.
Sue Steiner
Sweetgrass Farm