market-farming - Re: Incubators as germination chambers?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: suzyr AT netos.com (Suzy Roth)
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Incubators as germination chambers?
  • Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 19:22:58 -0800

I was wondering about this myself because we have two large incubators and
two large hatchers. Would the lack of light be a problem germinating
seeds?

Some plants like basil need light to germinate, or at least to germinate quickly. I once buried my basil seeds in plugs and it took 10-14 days for them to germinate. Under lights on top of the soil it only takes 3 days. I notice onion germinates fast under light with a very light dusting of soil to keep them moist. But then there's parsley! Nothing will get that to germinate fast. I suggest you experiment with your seeds especially if they seem to be taking a longer time than usual in the incubator.