market-farming - Re: carrots and horse manure

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marc & Marcy <marc AT aculink.net>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: carrots and horse manure
  • Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2000 10:10:02 -0700

..snip..
> So de we have any statistics on just what this slight but real risk is?
> Preferably some that take into account the difference between sources of
> manure - say, separating out factory farm lagoon effluent from small
> operations that deal with reasonable amounts of manure without letting
> it sit around to become toxic sludge?
>
> --
> Holly ;-D
> Contrary Peasant
> sojournr AT missouri.org

Safety and health oriented procedures and reccomendations
are reponsible for the statistically low risk of infection
from pathogens. Composted manure and not using fresh manure
for food stuffs are important procedures.

The risk is not slight in a region of manure depostion. It
is a high risk situation even in a small operation. I have
had to install many water well sterilization devices that
have taught me the risk is not "slight" in a region of
manure deposition.

If you really want to know more about e-coli try the web
pages:

http://falcon.cc.ukans.edu/~jbrown/ecoli.html

http://www.foodsafety.org/ht/alfalfa.htm

http://search.yahoo.com/search?o=1&p=e+coli&d=y&za=default&h=c&g=0&n=20