market-farming - Re: starting farmers' markets

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Edward Marshall" <mayorsson1 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: starting farmers' markets
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 18:46:09 EST

Hello Folks, We began an Evening Farmers'Market in our nearby locale, with the idea to attract a new customer base that we did not see at the early morning market. We began with three vendors and ended with close to thirty. I am enthusiastic about promoting the market as an authentic farmers' market, and have pushed for the idea of having every vendor "certified". We can all certify one another, in that we do have farms, do produce our own produce, bake our own baked goods, etc. And we can take pictures of each other doing what we love to do! An information booth is a great idea, and the certification can be displayed there. This certification I hope to use as "branding", essentially proving to all potential customers that we are legitimate. We also had name tags with the vendor's name and location on them, as well as the market logo. We printed up business cards with the same logo and a MAP to the market on the back. This was all the advertising we could afford, and it was effective. Maybe this year, our second, we could put a calender on the back with highlighted dates of the market or our side attractions, such as taste contests or live music. Plenty of ideas out there to promote your markets. Good luck! Edward.