market-farming - Re: starting farmers' markets

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lee Lawton <llami AT teleport.com>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: starting farmers' markets
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 15:07:31 -0800

However, my reservation is that consumers don't know what
> they were buying, e.g., real, prudently grown small farm food or seconds
> from a wholesaler. The farmers didn't have any signage or information
> cards that told buyers that their products were from their farms...

I'm proposing a rule change to our market board so that each vendor will
have a laminated sign hanging in front of their stall which would show their
name, location, whether or not oganic, and where else they sell, if
anywhere. We've had some vendors who were employees of pretty big farm
stores, who brought in veggie starts from California, which were so cheap,
it was hard to compete. Also, most customers seem to assume that every
vendor grows organically, and that just isn't so. Customers should be able
to get this kind of info easily, and I think a laminated sign, which vendors
could fill out with grease pencil or permanent marker might help.

Does anyone have experience with anything like this?

Lee Lawton
Over the Rainbow Farm
Junction City, OR