market-farming - Re: Sunflowers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Elizabeth Pike" <pike AT always-online.com>
  • To: "Chris Labeots" <CLABEOTS AT baraboo.k12.wi.us>, "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Sunflowers
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 11:06:05 -0500

>I also forgot to ask if the sunflowers are started inside or just seeded
outside in place. And, What amount would be a good amount to grow?< Chris

I forgot to answer your questions!! Should have compiled the emails into
one-sorry!

I plant all my sunflowers outside. I just don't have the room to start them
earlier since we grow so many. As far as amounts to grow, just remember
they need about 1-2' spacing. So working this out & whatever space you can
alot for them will help you determine how many to grow. My first year of
planting to sell sunflowers, I did 2-200' rows. And I actually stumbled
across selling sunflowers in the first place. I began cutting the
volunteers around the yard to decorate & fix up my predominantly veggie
booth at farmer's market. Sold the flowers before anything else!

Liz Pike
Morningstar Gardens
Pollocksville, North Carolina