livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] pix showing bed techniques

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: tradingpost <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] pix showing bed techniques
  • Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2013 12:08:29 -0700

Apparently the photos went thru, wasn't sure due to size.

No I don't line bed frames, just pine. The spinach is Viroflay, tastes much better than regular.

My greenhouse plastic is 10x100 ft 6 ml uv roll. Uprights & rafters spaced 4ft apart. With about 30 deg pitch it holds up for years under +- 1 ft snow load, properly fastened to the wood. For that I use a 2" wide clear filament tape over the plastic, stapled to the wood on edges, 1/2" staples with air stapler. 4 ft sections covered one at a time.

Foundation is just 2x4 rail just above ground screwed into treated posts in holes 1 ft deep, cement fill. No nails anywhere, all 2 1/2" ext star drive screws with drill bit. 2 greenhouses about 60 to 80 ft. It gets below zero here & spring winds to 60 mph. Still standing after 8 yrs. Had to replace a few plastic sections not stapled the way I do now.

This is all doable by one person, but obviously not all at once. Plus overall this was a tiny fraction of the cost of commercial hoophouses. With homemade greenhouses everybody has to experiment, skills, tools, budget. :-(

Might add, to keep greens growing this winter, I've added a light bulb under cover on sensitive beds. You can do that without wasting heat on the whole structure. It's a pain but I have to cover beds 4-5 pm or so & uncover around 9-10 am for sun. But refuse to set foot outside in cold wind.

paul tradingpost@lobo.net