livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Poultry and livestock available (eastern West Virginia) (OT)

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <harvey@themodernhomestead.us>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Poultry and livestock available (eastern West Virginia) (OT)
  • Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2013 08:53:53 -0500

I'm posting this notice on behalf of a friend who needs to disperse all the livestock on his farm, as listed below.

All livestock are available "U-haul" only. The farm is located in Shepherdstown, 10 minutes off I-81 in the Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia.

Please note that I do not wish to serve as middleman in any transactions--if interested in any of this stock, please get in touch with the farmer directly at
jeff01beck@yahoo.com
If a price is not specified in the list below, assume that you will need to negotiate a price with the farmer.

(1) Pilgrim Geese: Three available, one gander and two geese, 4-1/2 years old (hatched Spring 2009). (Note that geese can live 20-80 years.)
    Source: Holderread Waterfowl, one of the most highly regarded waterfowl breeding operations on the continent:
http://www.holderreadfarm.com
    For more info about Pilgrims see:
http://www.livestockconservancy.org/index.php/heritage/internal/pilgrim
    This trio actually spent their first 2-12 years here at my place--and crowned "My Long Goose Breeding Saga" (finally!) with a modicum of success:
http://themodernhomestead.us/article/Goose+Breeding.html

(2) Ancona Ducks: (Favored by Carol Deppe as described in her book THE RESILIENT GARDENER--Chelsea Green, 2010). 9 pairs available, half 6 months old, half 18 months old.

(3) Rhode Island Red layers:  Hatched middle of January, 2013.
    Source: Welp Hatchery (http://welphatchery.com)
    150 hens available, including a few Ameraucana. Laid 9 to 12 dozen eggs per day during the past summer. (Production is quite low at present, since the owner stopped supplemental lighting. Before he terminated the additional lighting, they were laying very well for the winter months. Note as well that some of the hens are currently molting.)
    Please note that the owner prefers at this point to sell the hens as a single flock only, at $8 each. (He would sell fewer to someone interested in the Dexters as well. See below.)

(4) One registered silver Silver Fox buck rabbit, one registered black Silver Fox buck rabbit, and two registered black Silver Fox rabbit does available as breeding stock. Says the owner: "These cost about $75 each. I'll give them all to a (very) good home if I know they will be used for breeding and not dog food."

(5) A small herd of nine purebred Irish Dexter cattle: One bull and seven heifers and cows, all together on pasture. At this point, all the cows but one should be pregnant. One has a calf at her side.

Again, if interested in any of this livestock, get in touch directly with the owner at:
jeff01beck@yahoo.com

~Harvey
--
Harvey in northern Virginia
www.themodernhomestead.us

My book The Small-Scale Poultry Flock (Chelsea Green, 2011) is available at www.chelseagreen.com/bookstore/item/the_smallscale_poultry_flock

  • [Livingontheland] Poultry and livestock available (eastern West Virginia) (OT), Harvey Ussery, 12/23/2013