livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Winter growing

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: moon@ceva.net
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Winter growing
  • Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2013 08:00:39 -0600

Hi Fred, glad we flushed you outta the bush. The leanto on a shed could be attached to a shallow pit poly carbonate greenhouse. Russians are known for their pit hot houses.
I'm prepairing to launch a sim plan. I'm in Va on a flood plain so Ill stay on grade. Out from the shed an insulated step-wall ( blue foam) can start below frostline. Maybe not 5' deep, but 2-3 w a perimiter wall woild help. I want to put the step wall 2-3' above grade. Got stone?
You can access through the shed like a decompression chamber. There's always water storage in black, hot compost etc for cold buffer. Remay over plants on those very cold nights helps, more to do.
I have some Carter era solar hot water collectors to provide in-slab heat. The shed half will have a wood stove. I'm aiming for a no freeze zone for tropicals behind a glass slider on the shed south wall. Sounds like Christmas!
Merry to All, Ann zone 7