livingontheland - [Livingontheland] southern hemisphere temperature trend

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: l kelly <elkel@hotmail.com>
  • To: <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] southern hemisphere temperature trend
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 17:57:37 +0000

I'm thinking this thought about a "cooler Southern Hemisphere" would go over real well in Australia right now!

As meteorologist Jeff Masters explains, it is both deep and widespread:
It’s been a summer like no other in the history of Australia, where a sprawling heat wave of historical proportions is entering its second week. Monday, January 7, was the hottest day in Australian history, averaged over the entire country, according to the Australian Bureau of Meteorology. The high temperature averaged over Australia was 105°F (40.3°C), eclipsing the previous record of 104°F (40.2°C) set on 21 December 1972. Never before in 103 years of record keeping has a heat wave this intense, wide-spread, and long-lasting affected Australia. The nation’s average high temperature exceeded 102°F (39°C) for five consecutive days January 2 – 6, 2013–the first time that has happened since record keeping began in 1910. Monday’s temperatures extended that string by another day, to six. To put this remarkable streak in perspective, the previous record of four consecutive days with a national average high temperature in excess of 102°F (39°C) has occurred once only (1973), and only two other years have had three such days in a row–1972 and 2002 (thanks go to climate blogger Greg Laden for these stats.) Another brutally hot day is in store for Wednesday, as the high pressure region responsible for the heat wave, centered just south of the coast, will bring clear skies and a northerly flow of air over most of the country.

> Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 08:22:21 -0500 (EST)
> From: Lori <bakequery@aol.com>
> Subject: [Livingontheland] Warming Trends
> To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
>

> There is a very interesting article on Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milankovitch_cycles that presents some very interesting theories re: the warming trends we are experiencing on the earth, expecially the part about Axial tilt (obliquity). Basically it is describing a theory explaining that the variations in the orbit of the earth is why we are experiencing warming trends. No matter what we do, the earth is on a trend moving it's orbit closer to the sun for the next ~26,000 years. This orbital tilt is causing the Southern Hemisphere to be colder and the Northern Hemisphere to be warmer. If the ice in the north does melt perhaps that will be balanced by the lessening of any melt in the south. [my theory]
> Lori

  • [Livingontheland] southern hemisphere temperature trend, l kelly, 01/14/2013