livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] warming trends

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Lynn Montgomery" <sunfarm@toast.net>
  • To: <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] warming trends
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 10:37:59 -0700

These orbital fluctuations take place over such a long time, there is no way they could be the cause of the dramatic rise in global temps we are experiencing. It matters not what the cause when one encounters this:

Recently, scientist Anthony Leiserowitz, director of the Yale Project on Climate Change Communication was interviewed on PBS's Bill Moyers. The following is an excerpt:

""Wow, you know, four, five degrees, that doesn't sound like very much. I mean, I see the temperature change more from night to day." But it's the wrong way to think about it. I mean, think about when you get sick and you get a fever, okay. Your body is usually at, you know, 98.7 degrees.

If your temperature rises by one degree you feel a little off, but you can still go to work. You're fine. It rises by two degrees and you're now feeling sick, in fact you're probably going to take the day off because you definitely don't feel good. And in fact, you're getting everything from hot flashes to cold chills, okay.

At three you're starting to get really sick. And at four degrees and five degrees your brain is actually slipping into a coma, okay, you're close to death. I think there's an analogy here of that little difference in global average temperature just like that little difference in global body temperature can have huge implications as you keep going. And so unfortunately the world after two and especially after three degrees starts getting much more frightening, and that's exactly what the scientists keep telling us. But will we pay attention to those warning signs?"

 "The altar cloth of one aeon is the doormat of the next."
     -Mark Twain