livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Looking For The Uncrowded Country

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Dieter Brand <diebrand@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Looking For The Uncrowded Country
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 23:56:25 -0700 (PDT)

John et. al,

To “economically” survive as a farmer in the EU one has to do it
professionally. Of all those people from the North of Europe who have
settled here in Portugal in the last 30 years, very few make their living
from the land. Most get by doing odd jobs and/or getting some sort of
benefit. Some run their own business installing solar panels, cleaning
swimming pools, renting out rooms, giving yoga classes, etc. There is one
farmer from Holland who runs a dairy farm on a track of good land. To set up
a farm like that probably costs a few millions for the land, the equipment,
etc. And he came with years of farming experience under the belly. Another
couple manages to scrap a living from a piece of marginal hillside land by
selling herbs. But most don’t even grow their own food anymore. It is not
that it is impossible – there still is a handful of traditional farmer
surviving near the subsistence level, even though soil and climate are
extremely harsh. But it is very hard work and one has to reduce living
expenses to the point most former city dwellers are incapable or unwilling
to. And why should they? They can always go back to the city, earn some
money and then come back to live here in reasonable comfort for the rest of
the year.

There are a few conflicts between the newly arrived and the old settlers, but
for the most part it is all very good natured. In fact, hostilities among
the old settlers or among the newly arrived sometimes run deeper than between
the two sides, probably in part, because each side makes allowances for the
other being different.

Both in Germany and Japan (two places I’m familiar with) there is a back to
the land movement - usually in the form of trying to grow at least part of
one’s own food while keeping a daytime job to pay the bills. In an
industrial society - with a very few exceptions - farming too will be
industrial.

Cheers, Dieter