livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] 2050 in America, Food and Farms of the Future

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Liz" <liz@allslash.org>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] 2050 in America, Food and Farms of the Future
  • Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2011 11:16:44 -0500

I heard an interesting interview on Sunday, with the author of "Kosher Nation," Sue Fishkoff. Her remarks about why more and more Americans seek out kosher-certified food were eye-opening and encouraging. Apparently many people believe kosher food is more "pure" (which doesn't necessarily mean it's better for you--Honey Nut Cheerios are kosher, for pete's sake). She spoke of factories in China that are overseen by kosher inspectors, and the work necessary to clean a US factory after non-kosher food was processed, in order to make it acceptable for a run of kosher food.

I don't think buying kosher food is any guarantee of food safety, because it doesn't protect you against GMO foods or added chemicals. And it doesn't provide any incentive for buying local. But I was encouraged to hear that Americans in general are giving any weight to the notion of "pure." Maybe we are grinding slowly but inevitably toward a better understanding of nutrition and food safety. I want to think so, anyway.

Liz

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>