livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] 2050 in America, Food and Farms of the Future

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: EJ <emj@uvic.ca>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] 2050 in America, Food and Farms of the Future
  • Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2011 15:36:29 -0800

Kosher Meat Plant Raided, Owners Charged

Following the great immigration raid at the kosher Agriprocessors plant in the Iowa town of Postville on May 8, 2008, practically the whole criminal law book has been used to make charges stick to all who were guilty.

About the only laws not being violated in and around the Agriprocessors plant, which hit peak employment of around 1,000 before the raid led to its bankruptcy, were the nation's food safety laws and regulations.  That much was kosher.

Everything else was a nightmare.

In the raid, 389 mostly Guatemalan workers were arrested for being in the country illegally.  It sparked outrage among immigration groups, who objected to the use of 900 armed federal agents to raid a workplace at a cost estimated at over $5 million.

http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2010/02/a-kosher-nightmare-at-iowa-meatplant/