livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] garden weather

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Catherine Noble <cathie@dungog.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] garden weather
  • Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2011 19:36:50 +1100

On 02/03/2011 03:38 AM, Aliza Vanderlip wrote:
725789.67438.qm@web62205.mail.re1.yahoo.com" type="cite">
Been gorgeous here.  Should be in the 50's on up to low 60's for a week or so.
It's been between 38 and 42 Celsius here for the last 5 days and that's high enough. 50 doesn't bear thinking about.

725789.67438.qm@web62205.mail.re1.yahoo.com" type="cite">
 we get most of our snow in March and April but it generally isn't very cold at that time.

I'm thinking about snow right now, and I'd be delighted to see it, but right now, I'd settle for a decent soaking rain
725789.67438.qm@web62205.mail.re1.yahoo.com" type="cite">

I sure wish folks would check in about the storms happening.
Like the one mentioned at this site,
<http://www.smh.com.au/environment/weather/cyclone-yasi-live-blog--day-one-20110203-1ae4s.html>
larger than Cyclone Katrina,and more powerful,that just ranover the coast of North Queensland like a ten ton truck over a tricycle? (scroll down to see what it would look like superimposed on a map of the US, and ask yourself how we got through it with only one fatality ---so far) scroll even further to see the local's graffiti on the boarded over windows of the Hog's Breath. You can throw a cyclone the size of Tasmania at them, but you can't _make_them respect it!

725789.67438.qm@web62205.mail.re1.yahoo.com" type="cite">
I've been a little concerned about the cold and wintery weather others are having.

Cold? wintery? In my dreams!
 I'm melting like the wicked witch,and I tells yer folks, it ain't pretty!(LOL)

We're in the middle of summer, and tropical storm season (Yasi is the second cyclone in a month to hit NQ, and we recently had the whole southwest corner of Queensland under water, to the point that they had to appoint someone to organise the aftermess* (TM)
see the story  at
< http://www.smh.com.au/environment/weather/flood-recovery-leader-appointed-20110105-19fad.html>

But because the continent is so big, we can have floods on Queensland, floods in Victoria, Fires in Western Australia, and snow in Tasmania (yes, in the middle of summer. That's what you get for having Antarctica as your next door neighbour!),while NSW is still in drought.  And you thought the US had the most varied weather!

We've been warned that as all the banana growers have been either flooded or blown away we could be paying up to $17 a kilo for bananas soon (that's 2.2lb weight),and sugar is going to be an obscene price, but they're not giving us numbers yet.
Time to give up eating bananas, I guess.....and learn to like honey in your tea...

Good luck with your particular weather,

Catherine