livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Is Neotame a Neurotoxin Like Aspartame?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Is Neotame a Neurotoxin Like Aspartame?
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 19:30:16 -0000

Sorry Paul , the long article you sent us clearly explained that your raw organic agave was completely chemically processed. The autor prided himself on that their agave syrup was enzymatically produced (exactly the same way that corn syrup is made) at constant low temperatures. That is what was meant by "Raw" = not boiled or cooked.

Even that last detail is probably untrue. Enzymatically split inulin in a watery solution is completely clear and colorless. Like sugar water/syrup.
I can not immagine this would be a great sales aspect.
I have made maple and other syrups myself and know for a fact that you get color by heating, in fact caramelizing the sugar while you evaporate superfluous water. You can get a light yellow or deap brown color depending on the lenght of time of heating or the temperature. The higher the temperature the darker brown. But I have never been close to agave nectar and don't know how dark yours is.

There is inulin present in many vegetables and the the ones that lead to flattulence most have probably most of it. Sunchokes are reknowned for that and have a lot inulin. Honey should have little inulin if it is good honey for inulin is indegestible for bees as well as our own species.
John

A little context: all fructose is not the same. High fructose corn syrup is chemically processed, bad. Raw organic agave is unprocessed, good. Raw agave is not split by enzymes. In other words it hardly matters exactly how much fructose (HFCS) is in most agave; if it's not unprocessed it's got HFCS and it's bad. I suspect inulin is handled by intestinal processes, since I doubt the inulin in raw honey and sunchokes are indigestible.