livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] The Working Poor

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: gloria@aquaponicfarm.com
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] The Working Poor
  • Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 08:45:28 -0600

I have personally helped the "poor and hungry" in the county where I live.
They wanted the sweets that were available. Some were interested in
vegetables but mostly just the tomatoes. The veg that came straight from our
garden they did not want because there was some garden dirt on it. Corn on
the cob they would
Not take unless we shucked it first.

We held free canning classes where everyone could come help clean chop and
prepare food and take home free food. Very few showed up because there was
work to be done. Why work for food when it is given away for free by good
stamps etc.

We had a large community garden that we personally tilled and planted. A fee
people showed up during planting. No one showed up for weeding. Only a few
showed up for harvest. Again the vegetable were not in pretty packages so the
were not wanted.

I dont know the answer or the solution

Gloria